Catholic Essay Contest
Knights of Columbus
2017 Catholic Citizenship Essay
The Catholic Citizenship Essay Contest is open to all Catholic students – in public, private or parochial schools – in grades 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 during the current school year.
- Essays must reflect the assigned theme and topic, and submitted by the published deadline.
- Essays must be the student’s original work.
- Essay must be typed on 8 1/2” X 11” paper, one sided, double spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Essays must be between 500 – 750 words in length.
- The student’s name should appear only on the official Catholic Citizenship Essay Contest entry form, which must be stapled to the essay
- All entries become the property of the Knights of Columbus and will not be returned.
Send essay and the official Catholic Citizenship Essay Contest entry form by November 15th to:
- Mail: Sam Gonzalez
- 84 Bradford Circle
- Sugar Land, Tx. 77479
- Email: GClan@Windstream.net
Theme: Going to the Peripheries
“Through his Incarnation, the Lord has united himself forever with suffering humanity – not as an abstraction, but throughout history with each suffering person. Jesus is already at the peripheries. The question for us is whether He will be there alone or whether His disciples will be there with Him.” – Supreme Knight Carl Anderson
Discuss the role of the Catholic Church going to the peripheries, then select one of the following ideas to complete your essay:
- Describe the work of one widely known historical Catholic who went to the periphery.
- Describe the work of one widely known current Catholic who went to the periphery.
- Describe the work of one person in your life, who helps alleviate human suffering.
Contest Levels & Awards:
All entrants will receive a certificate of participation.
Council Level – KC 4204 Sugar Land
- Certificates for first, second and third place winners in each grade
- $50 to all first place winners in each grade
First place assays will automatically be forward to the next contest level: District, State, and International.
There will be a 1st place winner and 2 runner up winners for each grade level.
- 1st Place - $300
- Runner ups - $100
- The winners at the council level will be notified by a representative of Knights of Columbus #4204 by December 31st, 2016.
- The winners at the International Level will be notified by the Knights of Columbus State Deputy in June 2017.